Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Valentine Bouquet

This post is unlike any of the others I’ve done, but with only 18 posts in all, I suppose that I haven’t yet established a pattern....   

I’ve written about books as objects; about auctions; about theater and opera and film; about public and private libraries; about aspects of literary analysis and different ways of telling stories; and I’ve written about my store.  I’ve even had “guest posts” and plan more of them. 

Besides, this is my blog, so I can post anything I want!  

Today is Valentine’s Day and the airwaves are filled with the films and the music of love; and everywhere, flowers are being brought and sent. 

“Classical” music stations seem to be spending much of the day playing romantic waltzes and tangos; and primarily classical music that has been used as themes in romantic films.  Actually, this post is a perfect follow-up to my last one about telling stories without [necessarily] using words.  Here, music is the main story-teller, and it inspires the action. 

So as a Valentine from me to you – and through the wonders of the Internet – here is a “bouquet” of music and video to make this a romantic day, wherever you are and whatever you’re doing. 

Enjoy.

Ravel's "Bolero" in the movie, TEN starring Dudley Moore and Julie Andrews:

Rachmaninov:
     THE SEVEN-YEAR ITCH starring Marilyn Monroe: 
 


  SOMEWHERE IN TIME starring Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour:  

Tangos:
    from an old Rudolph Valentino film:
 

     from Robert Duvall’s film, ASSASINATION TANGO: 


     from the film SHALL WE DANCE starring Jennifer Lopez and Richard Gere: 

              and several breathtaking clips from TANGO ARGENTINA:

            

Waltzes:
         from THE ARTHUR MURRAY DANCE PARTY, a television  show from the 1950’s:
the New York City Ballet performing THE MERRY WIDOW, choreographed by George Balanchine and featuring Peter Martins:
  
           Disney's spin on Tchaikovsky's "Sleeping Beauty Waltz:"


And one of my favorite pieces, a “bouquet” of sorts: Natalie Dessay and Delphine Haidan singing the “Flower Duet” from the opera LAKME:

And finally, The Kiss: 

The Kiss
Happy Valentine’s Day!

2 comments:

Adam Selzer said...

Happy Valentines Day is right! :)

P. J. Grath said...

Helen, this was GREAT! You are so creative! I loved the music and the variety--and then the surprise of the two horses at the end gave me a hoot and a huge smile. Thank you!!!